Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Reflection on the course as a whole

My reflection on the course as a whole is basically the same as the last course--Access to Literacy. On the one hand, I'm blown away by all the possibilities that these tools can offer students. On the other, I'm so discouraged by the lack of access they have to these tools. Our schools are doing such a disservice to our students. A student shouldn't have to wait around for one of their teachers to be taking a grad course before they get services they should have gotten years ago.

Again, I think about the cost factor--what is the cost to society to have people who are miserable, unemployable, uncommunicative, maladaptive, functional illiterate AND SO ON? Isn't it far cheaper to turn them into productive tax-payers? Full-cost accounting, folks.

I'm so glad that I've taken these courses. I've seen improvements in the lives of my students because of things I've learned from Barb. Since using Co:Writer, one of my students has been producing the most meaningful writing in her life. She spent years writing reams of jibberish so the adults would think she was hard at work and leave her alone. For her last project--on the Middle Ages--she wrote a play about a princess, assigned roles to her classmates and directed them in a performance! A transformation. Every child should have this opportunity to shine--to demonstrate what they know and can do.

The encouraging thing about these courses with Barb is how teaching professionals are fired up to spread the word and make a difference. Kind of like being in Dumbledore's Secret Army. We're there, but don't tell admin. Yet.

Thanks to Barb and my classmates, especially Michelle and Kari. It's been a great course! And a great degree! Course Ten, and no longer counting!

Acadia University Hall
Goodbye, Acadia! It's been a slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment